Skip to: Main Content Search Navigation Secondary Navigation
College of Arts & Sciences

Policies Related to Expenses Associated With New Faculty Hires

New faculty hires necessarily involve expenses tied to relocation, office furnishings & computing equipment, and laboratory set-up or other costs associated with the initiation of a research program. The purpose of this document is to clarify college policy for these expenses. Generally, these expenses only apply to Group-I and Group-II hires, but coverage may be extended to Group-IV under certain situations.

Relocation Expenses

Relocation expenses are negotiable for all Group-I and Group-II hires. The exact amount is a function of relocation distance and other factors. The college is willing to provide funds towards relocation. Departments will typically be expected to contribute.

Office Allocation

If you have no negotiated start-up package, the College will provide a fixed amount of $3500 to establish the office environment for all Group-I and Group-II faculty. Ostensibly, these funds will be used for a desktop computer, software, office chair, etc. These funds must be spent by the end of the first fiscal year of employment.

Start-up Funds

Start-up funds are intended to support the establishment of a program of research, scholarship or creative activity at Ohio University, and the faculty member typically exercises independent authority over the expenditures of these funds. The scope and scale of a start-up package will vary with the nature of the work a faculty member intends to pursue. Start-up funding is intended to launch, but not sustain a faculty member’s research.  By its nature, start-up funding is only available to Group I faculty. 

Department chairs typically request a proposed start-up package from a prospective employee when they are negotiating salary and other details of a job offer.  The start-up package must include an itemized and justified list of expenses that will support the early stage launch of a program of research, scholarship or creative activities. The chair confers with the dean during the recruitment process as a college-approved start-up budget is negotiated with the prospective faculty member.  Normally, departments are expected to contribute 25% of the start-up costs, with the college providing the remaining 75%.

Once a faculty member is recruited, chairs should establish clear expectations regarding expenditure of start-up funds.  It is expected that these funds will be used within the first three years of employment as a faculty member’s program of research is initiated.  Extension of this deadline requires a clear justification and plan for use of remaining funds.  An extension for expenditure of start-up funds may be requested from the college (consult with Associate Dean), not to exceed one year.

Start-up funds CAN be used for the following:

  • Research-related lab supplies and equipment
  • Computers, software, and associated research technology
  • Professional books and memberships
  • Travel (for research, conferences, professional development)
  • Undergraduate research assistant hourly labor
  • Graduate RA stipends (CAS will provide tuition scholarship)
  • Contract fees (e.g., gene sequencing)
  • Limited lab remodeling
  • Publication costs
  • One month summer salary of first summer (must be approved in letter of hire)
     

Start-up funds may NOT be used for the following:

  • Faculty salary (during academic year)
  • Post-doctoral associates
  • Salary for dedicated technicians or lab managers
  • Instructional equipment
  • Visa fees
  • Expenses to develop a new academic program

*Note that when a department chooses to offer a reduced teaching load to a pre-tenure faculty member, it is the department’s responsibility to cover departmental teaching needs; i.e., additional Group-III support may not be requested from the college to meet curricular needs.

**Note that as of July 1, 2014, the Vice President for Research is no longer a contributor to start-up funding.

***Note that these are guidelines and are considered to be best practices. Certain aspects may be negotiable under specific circumstances.

\BCM:  30-April-2015, v2.2

Departmental Social Media

College of Arts & Sciences