Skip to: Main Content Search Navigation Secondary Navigation
College of Arts & Sciences

Advising Resources

Advising in the Political Science Department

Most students do not need to contact a faculty adviser specifically to request that a registration hold be cleared; however, all freshmen and all students on academic probation are required to make an appointment with their adviser.

If you have questions about Political Science (POLS) requirements, specific POLS courses, POLS sponsored awards and programs, etc, you can: (a) visit the POLS website; (b) visit your faculty adviser during office hours; or (c) contact your adviser by email. Some advisers will prefer that you visit in person; others prefer email.

Office hours are blocks of time faculty set aside for one-on-one meetings with students. These times are posted outside your adviser's office door. Office hours are held on a drop-in, first-come, first-served basis. Most faculty advisers have offices on the second floor of Bentley Annex, but a few are in other buildings. See the faculty directory [hyperlink to faculty directory page] for faculty offices.

Your Political Science adviser is unlikely to be in a position to help with your minor or second major; go to talk to a faculty member in the host department.

Advising in the College of Arts & Sciences

For general college requirements (e.g. distribution), go to Walk-in Wednesday at the College of Arts & Sciences Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs (first floor of Wilson Hall Administration Building on the College Green) 9-11 a.m. and 1-4 p.m.

You should meet with an A&S adviser part way through your junior year—and no later than spring of junior year—to perform an initial graduation check. If you are missing requirements, you will need time to make them up during the senior year and/or spring of the junior year. CAS advisers will likely suggest that you return during the senior year for a final check.

For language requirements, speak with an adviser in the A&S Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs, or contact an adviser in the relevant language department:

  • The Department of Modern Languages for French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
  • The Linguistics Department for Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Swahili.
  • The Department of Classics and World Religions for Greek or Latin (Contact: Dr. Bill Owens)
  • American Sign Language (Contact: Becky Brooks at
  • For transfer credit, meet or speak with Dr. Randy Price , Senior Advisor in the A&S
  • Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs.

General Ohio University Resources

If you are having mental health or other personal problems affecting your academic work, you are welcome to consult with your faculty adviser. Help is also available through Counseling and Psychological Services at Hudson Health Center. For major crises affecting completion of academic courses, students should contact the Office of the Dean of Students.

Office Locations and Contact Information

Political Science
266 Bentley Annex

College of Arts & Sciences Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs
First floor of Wilson Hall Administration Building on the College Green

Department of Modern Languages
283 Gordy Hall

Department of Linguistics
383 Gordy Hall

Counseling and Psychological Services
Third floor of Hudson Health Center

Departmental Social Media

College of Arts & Sciences