Learning Specialist Team
Who We Are
Assistant Director of Learning Services, Athens campus
Assistant Director of Learning Services, Cleveland campus
What We Do
- We are highly experienced professionals with expertise in learning theory and higher education.
- We offer enrichment workshops on test-taking, time management, medical school study skills, test anxiety, and medical school communication skills.
- We assist students in creating time management plans, organization and study plan preparation.
- We provide support and feedback to students as they develop their CV, submit professional materials for scholarships and essays, and build their professional communication style.
- We organize group study sessions, hire campus tutors and assist students with confidential requests for additional academic support/mentoring.
- We also assist students in preparing for medical licensing board exams, including all levels of COMLEX and USMLE.
- All our services are provided at no extra cost to the student through HCOM’s Office of Student Affairs.
|Kathy Pittman, Ph.D.||JoAnna Cline, M.A., LPCC-S||Barbara Pietro, Ph.D.|
|Amy Shaw, M.A|
ACADEMIC SUPPORT and TUTORING SERVICES
Each campus offers weekly Learning Community sessions for first year students. These are offered to provide an opportunity to review content from class that week and to build camaradrie with other students. Sessions are led by a team of Academic Peer Support Leaders (APSL/"tutors"). APSL team members are also available for one to one tutoring. All requests should be directed to the campus Assistant Director of Learning Services.
COMLEX and USMLE
Learning Specialists work with students for all levels of COMSAE and COMLEX preparation. Students are encouraged to schedule time with the campus Learning Specialist to discuss individualized study plans and review appropriate resources. Learning Specialists are an excellent resource for NBOME and NBME updates and exam information.